Sunday, August 24, 2008

Canning Peaches

I thought since I liked the idea of freezing corn, I would try my hand at canning peaches. And it actually wasn't as hard as what I thought it would be. My mother-in-law came over to help me. She showed me everything I needed to do. I got 12 quarts out of 1 basket. I did have some extra but I used these peaches right away for desserts and to eat with dinner and lunch. They we're the most fabulous peaches I have ever had. I paid $11 for them, so I know that is not the cheapest but everyone has comlimented on how good they are. I ordered them from an orchard back next to maple grove raceway. I think I will order another basket or two this week, and do some more. I do need more canning jars. I have been blessed by so many already passing some down to me, that they don't use anymore. My sis-in-law blessed me with her canner that she no longer uses. Thanks L! So I am now looking who can tell me the best place and price I can buy them. I am really getting into this. I am also doing my own tomato juice sometime this week. It is very simple to do. And come fall I will try applsauce too.

3 comments:

tines said...

go jenny! you're such a great mom/wife/homemaker!!! i'm so glad you learned! i actually told my mom that you wanted to learn & we were thinking about organizing a day to help teach you...but you're all set now!!! i don't have any tips on where to buy them, sorry. i'm sure you'll find a steal somewhere. good job! they look great! xo

Anonymous said...

Good job!! I've found some good deals on canning jars at garage sales. I think there will be a lot of sales this weekend in the Blue Ball area - perhaps you can find some there. If not, try Good's - they usually have the best prices on canning items.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the encouragement girls.
I will definately check out blue ball sales.
Tell gracie she can teach me applesauce. I need a trip to the farm, I think my kiddos would love it down there and actually allow me to get it done.
We just finished canning tomato juice tonight. Neal and I did it together. I am getting into this!